Sunday, July 22, 2007

Neat Vista Feature - Copy As Path

I was trying to get an Explorer context menu set up today for .dll files in Vista so that I could simply right-click on a DLL and select "Register" and have regsvr32.exe register the DLL (as well as a companion "Unregister" menu item).

While trying to figure out how to do this (I'll post a solution when I get there... I've done it in XP but cannot remember exactly how and the way I "remember" it is not working) I came across a neat feature in Vista.

When viewing a folder in Vista's Explorer you can hold down the Shift key and right-click on a file. This brings up a slightly modified context menu from the standard one you get if you don't hold Shift down. Nestled in the menu is a nice little menu item labeled "Copy as Path". When you select this item it will copy the full path of the file (including the file name) into the Clipboard for you.

Handy stuff, I say!

By the way, I stumbled across this while reading Tim Sneath's "Command Prompt Here" blog post... http://blogs.msdn.com/tims/archive/2006/09/18/windows-vista-secret-1-open-command-prompt-here.aspx)

No comments: