Monday, August 10, 2009

An Introduction to StructureMap

Over the next several months I will be presenting a walkthrough of StructureMap.  I will be starting with the basics of how to construct objects using StructureMap and then move on to more advanced topics. 

I know there is lots of great information out there around how to use StructureMap.  My intention for writing this series is mostly selfish.  I want to learn StructureMap, and as I learn it I'll be blogging the features I'm learning as I go. 

I’m currently working on a project that uses the Unity dependency injection container.  This container has worked very well for us, but as I’ve read various blogs and articles I’ve come to realize that a good DI container provides more than just DI.  It’s my intention to learn the basic usage of StructureMap, but also dig into the more advanced usages as well as much of it’s support infrastructure that helps you keep your dependency injection code to a minimum (thinking of auto-wiring, convention-based registration, etc).

I’ll also be updating this post as I write each new article so that this post can remain as a table of contents for the whole series.

  1. Manual component registration and resolution
  2. Auto-wiring components
  3. Convention-based registration
  4. Component lifetime management

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Often times when I attend technical events, the presenter is so wrapped up in the technology that they often miss the "why" question.

Why is this technology important? What problem does this solve? What was life like before this came along? Throw in some Concrete Examples and you have a winner.

So with StructureMap, I hope you address the "why this is so important" question because we developers are continuously hit with new things to learn.